Monday, 13 May 2013

My writing bookshelf


What's on my 'writing' bookshelf? Now you know. The books on the right are the reference works I use most often, and will always be part of my writing shelf. I like to keep them nearby.

I have other shelves downstairs full of books that are reference works or inspiration for when I work on new stories in the future (including books on astronomy, deep sea fish, death metal in Norway, and the science of flight). After that those books will move on to lives in the hands of others. But my office shelf, above, will outlast them all.

If you're a writer do you have a writing bookshelf? If you're not a writer, do you have a collection of reference books of some kind?

PS I've just remembered: I have a dictionary too, but I keep that by the bed. The OED. I did try reading it from cover to cover, but am only up to letter B. The structure is logical and well thought out but the subject matter is quite random and the character development almost nonexistent, so that project ended up in hiatus.

4 comments:

Shaun Horton said...

I don't have an extensive set of books which I turn to for my writing. The list of books I plan to get, eventually, is much longer. For the time being though, I have, in no particular order:

Stephen King's On Writing. Probably one of the best books on writing I've ever read. If I were a teacher, it would be required reading right behind the classic textbooks.

On Writing Horror by the HWA. A collection of bits by several well-known horror authors. Some of it is fairly outdated now, but still lots of useful information.

Diseases of the Human Body, 4th edition. Just plain useful for general anatomy and various malfunctions of the human body.

RIFTS Adventure Guide. Just an incredible book about world and character building.

Biology 7th Edition. Another book that is just plain useful when you want to know general details about the living organisms on the planet. Also great for story ideas.

Karl said...

I vowed that I had enough books about writing, but Stephen King's 'On Writing' keeps tempting me, especially since I was always such a fan of his work.

Of my books 'Story' by Bob McKee is the one I found most useful, particularly on the second reading.

I've not read Rifts, but have a whole cupboard full of role-playing systems and manuals!

alysonyoga said...

I'm not a writer but I have a new shelving unit for yoga books. It was great being allowed to buy books during my training course I've just counted and I now have about 50, and I'll be buying more..

Karl said...

Alyson, maybe just limit yourself to the same number as I have...